[rescue] Ultra 5/10 memory mystery

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Nov 27 00:46:50 CST 2006

Picky beasts these are !

Well, on to the mystery...

I have a Ultra AXi mobo (in a 2U rackmount by Rave Systems).
It had 4 DIMMs in it... 512MB ram...

This is Dataram 60079, 4 pieces.

The chips are labelled -5 (50ns).

In the AXi, they are detected as 128MB DIMMs, speed not reported.

In an Ultra 10, they are reported as 256MB DIMMs at 60ns.

Both boxes have the latest firmware...

Has anyone ever seen this odd behavior... ((over) capacity detection,
wrong ram speed detection).

Also have some PC EDO DIMMs... but any of those I try are always
detected at half their rated capacities.

Anyone have any 256MB or 128MB DIMMS for these ?  If you do, let
me know what you would want for them and what they are (sun, 3rd party,
specs, etc).

-- Curt