[rescue] OS - solaris express type - for an U60

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Nov 22 03:12:11 CST 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:43:11 +0200
Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> Anyone have any strong feelings over whether to install solaris
> express or SE community edition on an ultra 60? Or netbsd, of course.
It seems U60 are growing on trees down in .za? ;-)
(There was an other person from .za on the NetBSD/sparc64 mailing list
with a similar question.)

> If it helps any, this is the hardware that I intend to install onto:
> A recently rescued U60 with single (or dual if OS supports it) creator
> 3D's, single ultra-sparc II 360MhZ processor.
If you want dual head you have to try NetBSD-current. Read it on the
NetBSD/sparc64 mailing list:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2006/11/21/0000.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2006/11/21/0001.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2006/11/21/0002.html
You can get -current here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD

I use NetBSD-current from around summer on a U10. It works and is
stable, even with LFS. Firefox still didn't work, so I instaled kde-base
to get konqueror as GUI browser.

> Also, the machine came with a bad dc power switch. Currently, I can
> switch on using the power button on the keyboard, but was wondering if
> anyone on the list has seen a spare somewhere?
For now you can shutdown the machine and then use the "power-off"
command at the firmware prompt.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen