[rescue] OS - solaris express type - for an U60

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 21 09:29:28 CST 2006

Tue, 21 Nov 2006 @ 08:35 -0600, Michael Parson said:

> FreeBSD also has a sparc64 port, if you want to give that a shot, but
> I've not been following their progress any.

I removed Solaris 10 from my Ultra 2 and put FreeBSD 6.1 on it.

Not to say Solaris 10 isn't good, it's just that FreeBSD 6.x appears to
have fixed a lot of the horror in the 5.x series, so it is an option
once again.

FreeBSD 6.1 appears to be just as fast if not faster, it is easier to
get software running on it, and personally I find FreeBSD and NetBSD
easier to admin and set up than Solaris.

The downside is the GNU compiler, which isn't as good as Sun's.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The determined programmer can write a
FORTRAN program in any language." ]