[rescue] For all the Model M keyboard fans:

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Nov 21 14:04:39 CST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 01:54:06PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 02:33:32PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > One of these days I need to find out how well my '96 vintage P3
> > motherboard handles being USB only (currently I use a PS/2 keyboard but
> > USB mouse).
>
> You have a 1996 motherboard that takes a P3 and has USB ports??#!>?#!

A lot of P2 motherboards could take P3s with a BIOS update.  It could be
also be a '97 board I guess, but it has date stickers on it for '96.  I
bought it used with P2-350s in '00 and flashed it immediately.  It was
only in the last year or two that I upgraded to P3s.

I almost bought a multiprocessor Pentium at the time, but then I found
out about the L2 being disabled and ended up saving up a bit longer for
the P2 board.  The goal was to run BeOS on the computer.

> >From WikiPedia -
>
> "The Pentium III is an x86 (more specifically, an i686) architecture
>  microprocessor by Intel, introduced on February 26, 1999."

>       * USB 1.1: Released in September 1998.
>       Added higher maximum speed of 12 Mbps (now called Full-Speed). Fixed
> problems identified in 1.0. Earliest revision to be widely adopted.

I bought a P200MMX new in '96 that had USB ports as well, regardless of
what date the above P3 board really was made on.  I never actually tried
to use those ports though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net