[rescue] NetBSD /etc and sundry things, was Re: DEC keyboards

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Nov 17 14:04:58 CST 2006

Fri, 17 Nov 2006 @ 20:42 +0200, Meelis Roos said:

> > Ironically, it was a focus on big iron Linux that brought the biggest
> > improvements for the desktop.
>
> Umm, what do you have in mind?

Several features mostly focused on large systems and scalability greatly
help the desktop too:

O(1) scheduler
new VM subsystem
new I/O with a task-like scheduling system
futexes
greatly reduced latency in system calls
preemptable kernel calls

Those, and quite a few I don't remember offhand, were created for big
iron, but run great on the desktop too.

I would also add the move to subarchitectures, because this forced a lot
of bug fixes and performance improvements which also benefit desktops,
though indirectly.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]