[rescue] DEC keyboards

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Nov 15 10:21:17 CST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 10:51:17AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> You know... I probably knew that at some point in the past, because it
> sounds right now that you remind me.

You could try SOFTWARE (xon/xoff) flow control.

> The primary problem machine has a modem, so the terminal has to live on
> ttyb.

I assume the original design was a serial console or modem on TTYA and a
postscript printer (which almost always used software flow control in the
old days) on TTYB.

If you are using anything faster than 2400 BPS, then your modem is a
syncronous modem that packetizes your data, compresses it, wraps header,
trailer and parity bits around the packet and sends it down the line.

It then dissasembles the packets, and sends them out a serial port, emulating
an asynchronous modem. It should work fine with software flow control, but
it won't be "binary" clean.

It's been a long time, but I thought PPP had an option to compensate.

> The thing is... why did they not have it report error when you set it?

That would make too much sense.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838