[rescue] x86 power question

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Nov 14 14:39:59 CST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 03:17:47PM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> either.  And a .2V jump after disconnecting the video card seems a bit
> excessive. I don't know what it's supposed to pull, but maybe that is
> indicative of a failing graphics card?

ATI runs their business like many people run a hobby. Their hardware is
great, their software sucks, their support is worse than their software,
and so on........

AMD is a top notch engineering shop. The docs match the hardware,
the software works, and one of their hot projects is a whole line
of low power integrated chipsets for handheld devices.

About 3 years ago they bought the Geode line from National and have
made it work better, faster, and cheaper. Their weak point is
graphics hardware.

My hope is that the merger will produce a line of high quality low power
graphics chips with working software and good docs.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838