[rescue] x86 power question

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 14:17:47 CST 2006

On 11/14/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Tue, 14 Nov 2006 @ 13:22 -0500, Nadine said:
>
> > My RAID 5 in the x86 box chugs along fine, so apparently the RAID card
> > and disks are able to withstand power out of spec a lot better than
> > the motherboard.  Another data point favoring the mobo's IDE
> > controller being busted.
>
> I don't believe your problem is what you think it is.
>
> Usually sagging voltage causes unreliability, not hardware damage.
>
> I think you are having undervoltage because some other event damaged
> both your power supply and your computer.
>
> Antec supplies are very reliable in my experience, but won't necessarily
> stop everything from getting to your components.

This PSU has been on the UPS since I installed it; I got the UPS
before I got the PSU because my previous residence had horrible power
and I was afraid of the damage it might do the system (I could not do
anything about power there as I was renting).  I purchased the PSU
when I got the video card because the 350W PSU was marginal by the
video card requirements.

This is not to say that there's not a faulty component someplace else
in the system that caused a cascade failure.  The north bridge was
overheating before I put a big-a$$ heat sink on it--the fan that was
attached died, and it's replacement didn't last too fscking long
either.  And a .2V jump after disconnecting the video card seems a bit
excessive. I don't know what it's supposed to pull, but maybe that is
indicative of a failing graphics card?

But again, no other untoward symptoms at this point aside from the
flaking onboard IDE.

=Nadine=