[rescue] DEC keyboards

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 14 13:18:19 CST 2006

Tue, 14 Nov 2006 @ 11:36 -0500, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > What did you not like about them?
>
> Their software and menu interface is far inferior to the VT4xx
> software/menu.

I've never liked the UI on any of them myself.

> Plus they break backwards compatibility with the older
> series.

Mine claims it does everything from VT52 onward.

Is the emulation broken?

It seems to pass the vt100 test.

There were things about how they worked I liked better in the 320, but I
needed more speed, and being able to use PS/2 keyboards was nice.

> Right now I'm trying to find out what the difference is between the IBM
> 3151 and 3161 terminals.  I also would probably want to know the
> difference between the 3151 and 3153.  I know the 3153 is a lot newer.

Ah, actually I have seen those. I assumed they were just repackaged
3270/mainframe terminals.

Even the IBM shops I've been in used DEC and Esprit terminals.

Will definitely check those out. I still use terminals, even for real
work.

> Plus I'm seeing if I can find a 3164 or two for cheap, and I'm seeing if
> NetBSD can address these terminals in block mode.

You mean block mode as in page oriented terminal, or something else?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his