[rescue] Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A) versus Teac DV-28E

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Wed May 31 11:18:52 CDT 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Dave K wrote:

> On 4/11/06, Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> $WORK is looking to upgrade a bunch of older systems from CD-ROM to
>> DVD-ROM drives.  All of these would use the Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A)
>> drive.  Of course genuine Sun drives are absurdly expensive.
>>
>> The drives are marked as Teac 28E, which is also used in some
>> laptops,
>> and far cheaper.
>>
>> One notable difference is that the Sun version includes bracket
>> "370-6204", but I believe we could steal those of the CD-ROMS we'd be
>> pulling out.
>>
>> Now for the hard question: Does Sun have special firmware put into
>> the
>> Teac drives that would prevent us from using non-Sun versions?
>
> Sorry for the late reply, but the hardware guys only recently made the
> first purchase.
>
> I have not yet had a chance to attempt booting from it, but in all
> other ways a Teac DV-28E drive is functioning properly in a SunFire
> 120.  The little bracket and screws off the CD drive fit perfectly.

It should just work. I've never had an IDE based Sun fail to boot on
a CD-ROM drive that could also be read from.

The only time Sun had 'issues' with CD-ROM disks was in the old days
of SCSI where the CD-ROM needed to be set to 512 byte block. Even
then non-Sun drives would work fine so long as they were set correctly.

--
Mike N

ARF! She said.