[rescue] Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A) versus Teac DV-28E

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Wed May 31 11:08:49 CDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com> wrote:
> $WORK is looking to upgrade a bunch of older systems from CD-ROM to
> DVD-ROM drives.  All of these would use the Sun 540-5014 (AKA X7288A)
> drive.  Of course genuine Sun drives are absurdly expensive.
>
> The drives are marked as Teac 28E, which is also used in some laptops,
> and far cheaper.
>
> One notable difference is that the Sun version includes bracket
> "370-6204", but I believe we could steal those of the CD-ROMS we'd be
> pulling out.
>
> Now for the hard question: Does Sun have special firmware put into the
> Teac drives that would prevent us from using non-Sun versions?

Sorry for the late reply, but the hardware guys only recently made the
first purchase.

I have not yet had a chance to attempt booting from it, but in all
other ways a Teac DV-28E drive is functioning properly in a SunFire
120.  The little bracket and screws off the CD drive fit perfectly.

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator