[rescue] Friend needs storage solution

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue May 30 20:23:16 CDT 2006

Speaking fo FreeNAS:

I've just installed FreeNAS on a spare x86 box (PIII 866 MHz w/256 Meg RAM, 30 Gig IDE HD), and the install took all of 90 seconds.

Then you reboot.

Then I selected the LAN interface - that took about 30 seconds.

Then you reboot.

Then I configured the LAN interface - that took about 45 seconds.

Then you reboot.

Then I go to another computer and access it via web browser.

And it's working.

So I "add" the drive.

Then I apply changes.

Then I format the partition.

Then I apply the changes - and get an error message - the partition was already formatted.

Fine, so I create a user group.

Then I apply changes.

Then I create a user id.

Then I apply changes.

Then I activate CIFS and configure it.

Then I apply changes.

Then I activate FTPP and configure it.

Then I apply changes.

I try and access the share - can't login.

I try and access the FTP folder - can't login.

Dunno, didn't seem that hard, but also didn't really work as expected.

I wanted this to work, guess I'll dig in a bit deeper...

Lionel