[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 42, Issue 48

Andrew Jones aijones2 at bsu.edu
Tue May 30 09:40:03 CDT 2006

> Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 00:57:01 -0400
> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
>> I make a habit of setting things up with XFS on my home machine, with
>
>>> an ext2 boot that includes a miniroot with recovery tools.  Kind of
>>> like the old SGI EFS volhdr, XFS root.
>>

> I ran XFS for 5 years, never had a boot filesystem, and never needed
> one.
>
> I just made sure my kernel builds supported everything I needed at boot
> and for repairs.
> [...]
> --
> shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Work for something because it is good, not
> just because it stands a chance to succeed." -- Vaclav Havel]

Unless your kernel miraculously included 'xfsdb' / 'xfs_check' and
'xfs_repair', which are standalone binaries, you needed a miniroot and
simply weren't aware of the fact.  'fsck' for xfs is a no-op, and the
non-interactive filesystem check built into the mount call will never,
ever abandon data, even when it is necessary (e.g. after a power outtage).

What would you have done if something had gone wrong? Hastily built a
rescue disc on some other system?