[rescue] Friend needs storage solution

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue May 30 16:16:53 CDT 2006

Steve Sandau wrote:
> Sorry for the mis-information about the OS. I assumed (yeah, I know)
>  from a couple of things he said that it was Linux.
>
> My friend is not necessarily particularly Unix-savvy, but said it was
>  pretty easy to set up, so I figured it might really be so.

For the non-Unix-savvy *BSD == Linux == Solaris, etc.

> Is this possibly one of those things where a little more information
> and expertise on the user's part makes things more difficult? I find
> that to be the case with Windows for instance. I know the technical
> terms for things, but Windows seems to try to use "user-friendly"
> terms that have no meaning to me.
>
> Some things try to hard to be useable by anyone who is clueless, that
> they become unusable by anyone with a clue...

Oh, someone with a clue can work with it, but people with clue aren't
necessarily the target audience!

One thing I think they made too complicated was the software RAID.  Not
to mention the fact that softraid volumes won't start on boot and
require manual intervention to be functional again *grumble*

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com