[rescue] Friend needs storage solution

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue May 30 14:47:16 CDT 2006

On 5/30/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> velociraptor wrote:
> > On 5/30/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> >>Anyone have any suggestions or opinions?  Cost-effectiveness is an issue.
> >
> > We had a big discussion on one of my college mailing lists over the
> > past week or so, and I think, for someone of limited *nix fu,
>
> Oh, as far as I know he has Unix-fu, I just don't know whether he has
> the Solaris-fu to use his U10 and Solstice Disksuite^W^WSun Volume
> Manager^W^W^Wwhatever the hell it's called this week....

I just call it the Solaris LVM and don't worry about whether they've
slapped "java" on the front.

I certainly think that Solaris LVM is certainly a viable option if
he's clueful about *nix (Solaris really isn't that far off the
mainstream), but the question then becomes hardware--especially if he
wants big disk space.  Big SCSI disks are still not cheap, and if you
go IDE or SATA, you have to contend with the HCL.  It *might* work out
to be cheaper, but it'll take some investigation to determine that,
and that's also going to narrow the support channel--there's not as
many folks using hardware like that.

I'm all for learning new things but that is what my home "science
experiment" machines are for.  When it comes to storing my own data, I
just want things to work without a lot of hassle (this is also why my
main machine is a Mac).  YMMV.

=Nadine=