[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue May 30 13:44:54 CDT 2006

On Tue, 30 May 2006 00:44:38 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Wed, 24 May 2006 @ 23:44 -0400, Caleb Shay said:

> When did "Linux" implement a UnixWare boot filesystem?

At a guess in the mid-1990s when some people were interested in running
SCO Xenix/SCO Unix/UnixWare binaries (Informix/Uniplex/WordPerfect in my
case) under Linux. I'm not sure how being able to read a UnixWare /stand
would be any help here though.

> What do you mean by Linux in this context.

The Linux kernel as available at http://kernel.org/. Probably available
from 2.2 but it's still there in 2.6 (well being picky, I didn't check
with kernel.org; I just did a 'apt-get install linux-source' under
Ubuntu).

> Just curious because I've never heard of the kernel team writing a
> boot filesystem for UnixWare, and wonder who did this and where I can
> read about it.

The obvious place to start looking is the source code.

> You sure you don't mean something SCO created to boot Linux?

<shrug>

It's an implementation of UnixWare's boot filesystem in the Linux
kernel. How and why it's there I don't know. I only mentioned it as an
indication as to the simplicity of the implementation.