[rescue] Friend needs storage solution

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue May 30 09:30:09 CDT 2006

On 5/30/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I have a friend who wants to implement some RAID5 NAS.  He's pondering
> either building a Linux/BSD box, or buying a Buffalo TeraStation or
> competitor thereof.  He already has a U10, just doesn't have a storage
> array to hang off it, and I don't know how much Solaris-fu he has.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions or opinions?  Cost-effectiveness is an issue.

We had a big discussion on one of my college mailing lists over the
past week or so, and I think, for someone of limited *nix fu, the way
to go is a Terastation or an Infrant ReadyNAS[0].  There's a vendor
that also makes a RAID5 "black box" that can be connected to a host
computer via Firewire, USB, or SCSI[1].

Of course, if price point is the real issue, then probably the best
bet would be something that can handle a 3Ware SATA RAID 5 card (e.g.
x86 box).

=Nadine=

[0]This one will allow you to replace the drives one-by-one, and
automatically grow the filesystem when you've swapped out the final
drive in the RAID set: http://www.infrant.com/products_ReadyNAS_X6.htm
[1]They look like this:
http://www.cooldrives.com/firewire-raid-sata-raid-system.html