[rescue] connecting to ultra 60 via usb serial adapter

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun May 28 17:58:23 CDT 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Dimitar Vasilev wrote:

> Can anyone give  tips on connecting to ultra 60 system via usb serial adapter?

I use a KeySpan USA-19QW[0] on my Mac.  I either use a LapLink cable and
a Zip drive[1] cable, or a null-modem adapter, a gender changer, a
DE9<->DB25 adapter, and a straight-through 25-pin extension cable.  When
I connect, I tend to do this:

   $ kermit
   C-Kermit> set line /dev/tty.KeySerial1
   C-Kermit> set sp 9600
   C-Kermit> set car off
   C-Kermit> connect

And that almost always Just Works.  In fact,  I'm connected to an E4000
that way right now.

[0] Look just like this: http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/
[1] Both the SCSI and parallel versions of the Zip drive use a
     short (50cm or so) straight-through 25-pin male-male cable to
     connect from the device to a host.  I find the combination of this
     cable plus a LapLink cable the most flexible for connecting to just
     about anything.
--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "The telephone is an antiquity...it is an
Elgin, TX          (   outmoded device which constantly disrupts