[rescue] blue iMac and Verizon DSL

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed May 24 08:18:02 CDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:22:28PM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:

> But what is this WinPoET and MacPoET stuff? Is this PPOE with a
> different name? Is it necessary? If a router gets around it, how?

Yep, PPPOE.  If that is what is used, then the router needs to talk
PPPOE.  Most of them do though, so not a big problem.

> Sorry for my cluelessness here, but the only DSL connection I have
> experience with worked just like any other DHCP connection: configure
> the machine for DHCP and plug it in.

The Verizon DSL at work operates like you describe.  However, the
Verizon DSL my parents have requires PPPOE.  They use a Netgear router
that takes care of the PPPOE, so the rest of their machines just see
TCP/IP, ethernet, and DHCP.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net