[rescue] blue iMac and Verizon DSL

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue May 23 22:30:29 CDT 2006

Steve Sandau wrote:
> Sad, but believable from my tech support experience with various
> different providers. They do all pretty much assume we are idiots. (And,
> I suppose, some of us are...)
>
> But what is this WinPoET and MacPoET stuff? Is this PPOE with a
> different name? Is it necessary? If a router gets around it, how?

WinPOET is a PPPoE client for Windows which you have to use if, for any
reason, you disable the router's PPPoE negotiation and have to set up
the connection from a Windows box.  MacPOET, I assume, is similar.

I just hand the job off to pppd on my firewall U5, which is running
OpenBSD, so my pppd comes with built-in demand-dialling.

> Sorry for my cluelessness here, but the only DSL connection I have
> experience with worked just like any other DHCP connection: configure
> the machine for DHCP and plug it in.

Yeah, that's the good way.  Telcos like PPPoE because it's cheaper and
easier for *them*.