[rescue] blue iMac and Verizon DSL

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue May 23 21:31:43 CDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:11:32PM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:

> I will probably give her a 400MHz Intel box with Win98SE (I have an
> unused copy) and give it to her with a 17" monitor so she and her
> daughter can use the Verizon connection that they are already paying for.

I expect that such and Intel box would feel like a significant
downgrade.

> Can anyone enlighten me as to what is up with this Verizon deal?

They are lazy.  Even if MacPoet didn't work nicely, it could have easily
worked with a small home internet router between the verizon modem and
the Mac.

> Oh, and is there anything more interesting to do with this iMac than run
>   OS 8 or Linux?

You could run OS 9.  Depending on the amount of RAM you could even run
OS X.  Is it tray loading or slot loading?  If you have a tray loading
model, all units will take up to 384 and some will take 512.  If you do
run OS X on it, it would benefit from a faster disk drive (perhaps a
80-120 gig model with 8 or 16 megs of cache), which I believe is an easy
upgrade to do.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net