[rescue] blue iMac and Verizon DSL

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue May 23 21:11:32 CDT 2006

I just received a 333MHz blue iMac from someone on a local Freecycle
list. She was giving it away because Verizon told her that it didn't run
a new enough operating system to be compatible.

I have a DSL connection at work for hosting some websites. We just
plugged in the DSL modem, hooked its ethernet port to a switch, stuck
some Linux boxes into the switch and away we went. there was no special
software, no "supported operating systems" listed. It just worked.

So why is Verizon telling this poor woman that she can't use her iMac? I
did some Googling and ran across references to MacPoET and WinPoET, but
I have no idea what they are good for.

I will probably give her a 400MHz Intel box with Win98SE (I have an
unused copy) and give it to her with a 17" monitor so she and her
daughter can use the Verizon connection that they are already paying for.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is up with this Verizon deal?

Oh, and is there anything more interesting to do with this iMac than run
  OS 8 or Linux?

Steve