[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri May 19 16:17:42 CDT 2006

Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
[...]
> Speaking of, what are 36G scsi disks and PCI SCSI controllers for SPARCs
> running nowdays, price-wise? I'm thinking of taking one of my U10s to
> SCSI.

Rifling my favourite boxshifter's price list, it seems that you don't pay
much more for SCSI than you do for a similar-quality IDE drives. However,
they don't have very many high-end IDE disks and don't do any low-end SCSI
disks.

What does make a difference is the increased RPM. 10,000 RPM is about 4-5
times more expensive than 7200 RPM, and 15,000 RPM is a further factor of
two. I don't even see any SCSI disks as slow as 7200 RPM for sale, which is
reasonable since that low end market has been killed off by cheap SATA
drives.

Anyway, a 73GB Seagate 10K.7 is about GBP150 (so USD250?) with larger disks
about the same price per gig. They don't sell anything smaller.

Me, I'd be looking for a nice little SATA controller for my Sun instead...

--
Winter Summer Spring
Summer Summer Autumn Spring