[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri May 19 09:12:25 CDT 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:07:14AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 09:31:19AM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > Also, Acard SCSI<->IDE adapters are known to work (and the company
> > supports Solaris), allowing you to use pretty much any size IDE disk or
> > most types of CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-+RW drives.
>
> Ooh, got a part number?  I'd love to be able to pick up a couple of
> those and continue to use the 120G HD and DVD-RW drive I've got now,
> just with a decent controller. 8-)

I have a 7720U.  There are two on ebay for $70 each.  You need one per
drive.  Reportedly the slight pricier 7726 or the slightly cheaper 7720
(non-U) are better with DVD drives than the 7720U is.

If it were me, I'd try leaving the DVD-RW on IDE after moving the rest
to SCSI to see if that were tolerable.  Also, the Acards don't seem to
be as fast as real SCSI drives.  Again, if it were me, I might use a
fast and cheap Cheatah 9 or 18 gig drive to boot from and the Acard for
a second data drive.  In fact that is the setup I'm putting together in
a Ultra5.  The ultra5 will still have the factory CD-ROM on IDE, but I
don't expect to ever use the drive after installation.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/