[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu May 18 14:30:03 CDT 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 14:44, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> >Purdue's salvage op doesn't have any trouble extoring money for 3-4
> > year old machines, despite the fact you can get a faster machine
> > with a warranty from Walmart or Dell even.
>
> How has Purdue Salvage been since they moved?  I had heard that they
> dumped pretty much everything when they moved, Don was working there
> anymore, and the place wasn't worthe the trip anymore.  That was a
> couple of years ago though.  PC stuff was always overpriced, but i
> got a few good sun and sgi deals there.

They still get the same kinds of stuff they always did, but it gets
scrapped faster than what they'd done before, for two reasons... a lack
of space, and their management insisting that it look like and operate
like a Walmart or Sams Club.  So, due to incompetent management that
moved them from a free location to somewhere they spend $190k/yr to
rent out.... it's changed a bit.  Having a good relationship with the
guys that work there, and going out about daily helps me get some
interesting stuff still.

Sometimes it seems like things don't even make it off the delivery truck
before they're already sold.

Pat