[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Tue May 9 12:02:05 CDT 2006

> IIRC 9gb drives in an SSA show up as ~8gb, 18g drives show up as ~14?
> possibly 16?  I've never heard about 36s, but I'd expect them to show
> up somewhere between 16 and 32g.

This may have nothing to do with SSA and everything to do with the way
disk manufacturers routinely overquote their disk capacities.  (When
quoting in GB, they normally overquote by about 7.4% - the difference
between 10^9 and 2^30.  Recently they've even started adding footnotes
indicating that they know they're being misleading; why they haven't
been hit with misleading-advertising charges I've never been able to
figure out.)

In particular 9 disk-advertising GB is 8.38+ real GB; 18 disk-ad GB is
16.75+ real GB; 36 disk-ad GB is 33.5+ real GB.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca