[rescue] SSA-1xx

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Sun May 7 12:36:04 CDT 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> On 5/5/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
>> Chris Brandstetter wrote:
>>> I have also heard that on the 9GB limit.  I heard it was due to power
>>> constraints of the power supply.  I have 2 of those units here, mine
>>> have 4GB HDD's in them.  But alas I do not have any 9 or 18GB 1 inch
>>> drives, and especially in that quantity.
>> I would assume newer 18G drives would draw roughly
>> the same power as older, smaller drives.  So, *if*
>> that was the issue, it should be an easy "fix".
>
> I was thinking about doing this a few years back for a domain that I
> was doing volunteer support for--I had the opportunity to snag the SSA
> from a place I was working at the time.  I can't recall who gave me
> the info, but I don't *think* there are any FW limitations.  In my
> research, I was warned more about overheating and power draw and
> checked to find the 9G & 18G disks I was looking at putting in there
> came in at lower power consumption *and* BTU output.
>
> I'd think it's definitely worth a try if you have the parts.  I'd
> suspect that if there is a limitation, it's at the presentation layer
> to the host, since the SSA and FC controller for this is not "really"
> fibre channel in the standard sense, correct?

I can possibly round up enough 18G drives to populate the
box.  But, it would be quite annoying to find that it
was an exercise in futility (since I would have to backup
each drive before risking the drives' contents in the array).

I'll have to dig up some FO cable and set up a host with
the proper SBUS card...