[rescue] SSA-1xx

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri May 5 11:55:02 CDT 2006

On 5/5/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> Chris Brandstetter wrote:
> > I have also heard that on the 9GB limit.  I heard it was due to power
> > constraints of the power supply.  I have 2 of those units here, mine
> > have 4GB HDD's in them.  But alas I do not have any 9 or 18GB 1 inch
> > drives, and especially in that quantity.
>
> I would assume newer 18G drives would draw roughly
> the same power as older, smaller drives.  So, *if*
> that was the issue, it should be an easy "fix".

I was thinking about doing this a few years back for a domain that I
was doing volunteer support for--I had the opportunity to snag the SSA
from a place I was working at the time.  I can't recall who gave me
the info, but I don't *think* there are any FW limitations.  In my
research, I was warned more about overheating and power draw and
checked to find the 9G & 18G disks I was looking at putting in there
came in at lower power consumption *and* BTU output.

I'd think it's definitely worth a try if you have the parts.  I'd
suspect that if there is a limitation, it's at the presentation layer
to the host, since the SSA and FC controller for this is not "really"
fibre channel in the standard sense, correct?

=Nadine=