[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Sat May 6 23:25:22 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Fri, 05 May 2006 @ 08:02 -0700, Don Y said:
>
>> So, it knows about each application's resources and rewrites them?
>
> No.
>
> X does font rendering. However, in the past its font support was so crappy,
> that application libraries did their own font rendering and just used X to
> draw it. Gnome in particular still does too much work in Gnome, including
> redundant copies of font data.
>
> This was slow and ugly.
>
> Modern X servers use XRender and hardware acceleration to draw fonts, and has
> new features like anti-aliasing, TrueType support, and subpixel rendering.
> The X servers do a lot more of the work (all of it now?) for displaying high
> quality fonts, and it benefits even old applications.
>
> However, for some reason, font rendering for X apps just does not look as good
> unless I have KDE running.
>
> I have tried all manner of font configuration in X and my personal font config
> files, and it just doesn't look as good. I might just be missing something,
> but from comments I've read, I'm not the only one.

I don't know... But, I know that my PDF's look just as good
on an old X terminal as they do on a windows machine, etc.
But, that could be because xpdf uses t1lib to deal with the
fonts... (which are embedded in my PDFs)?