[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 6 00:04:59 CDT 2006

Fri, 05 May 2006 @ 11:51 -0700, Devin L. Ganger said:

> No, I was finding and exercising a bug. Whether that bug was in the
> code or in the documentation, I don't know. I tried a combination of
> kernels, architectures, drives, controllers, and configurations. As
> long as I kept my RAID volumes to using one partition off of each
> physical drive (didn't matter if it was the whole drive or not),
> everything was fine.  When I went to use multiple partitions and
> started running simulated data loads, I could get the RAID volume to
> shit itself within a week.  Lucky I was testing all this stuff before
> putting it into production, yes?

That's some bizarre tales.

I do this all the time without trouble.

Companies sell it packaged as RAID systems all the time.

My own RAIDs are always on partitions, never whole drives, because I
frequently reserve space for swap or boot partitions.

> This is also when I developed my hatred of ext3fs. With XFS I was able
> to eventually recover my data. With ext3fs, it was just gone. It's been
> several years now, though, so things have probably stabilized.

Several years ago ext3 was marked experimental and you were not supposed to
use it. It was in active development for quite some time.

>From the first moment it was released as stable it has been rock steady and
gained a well earned reputation.

I would never say the software is perfect, but your case is a stastical
anomaly.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]