[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Fri May 5 13:51:55 CDT 2006

At Friday, May 05, 2006 10:19 AM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> On Friday 05 May 2006 03:16, Devin L. Ganger wrote:

>> Whereas every time I've tired to get Linux RAID to work, I've ended
>> up with dead filesystems every time. Every distro I've tried, every
>> architecture I've run on, every kernel variant. I finally gave up. I
>> can live with software RAID under Solaris and even Windows, but IME
>> Linux RAID kills filesystems dead.

> Then you must have been doing something wrong.

No, I was finding and exercising a bug. Whether that bug was in the code
or in the documentation, I don't know. I tried a combination of kernels,
architectures, drives, controllers, and configurations. As long as I
kept my RAID volumes to using one partition off of each physical drive
(didn't matter if it was the whole drive or not), everything was fine.
When I went to use multiple partitions and started running simulated
data loads, I could get the RAID volume to shit itself within a week.
Lucky I was testing all this stuff before putting it into production,
yes?

This is also when I developed my hatred of ext3fs. With XFS I was able
to eventually recover my data. With ext3fs, it was just gone. It's been
several years now, though, so things have probably stabilized. Not that
I care to test it at this point. When I need a *nix box I'm quite happy
to use either Solaris or Mac OS X.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/