[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed May 3 14:16:22 CDT 2006

> Again, I just fail to see how Capacitors = Bad design, I
> guess not much of an EE background in some of these
> comments... RCL be damned I guess...

I never meant to imply that bad capacitors = bad design, I meant to imply
that capacitors (especially cheap aluminum ones) have a higher probability
of failure, and potentially spectacular failure that invovles "letting the
smoke out", as they say.

And I've seen that.

Now tantalum caps I've only seen fail when fed current they weren't
expecting.  Chances are those caps on Sun motherboards are tantalum.

Caps aren't bad, but the more aluminum there are, the greater the chances
(in my experience) that there's going to a failure.

- Nate