[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

"Javi Mahai <lefa at ucsc.edu>" at ucsc.edu "Javi Mahai <lefa at ucsc.edu>" at ucsc.edu
Wed May 3 13:23:48 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006 23:29:19 -0400 (EDT)
  nate at portents.com wrote:

> Actually I'd agree with the comment about the lack of
>capacitors being a
> good thing (it's also a reason I like my "Digital Audio"
>G4 motherboard so
> much, the thing has *almost* no capacitors on it).

Again, I just fail to see how Capacitors = Bad design, I
guess not much of an EE background in some of these
comments... RCL be damned I guess...

> Care to point out the capacitors on a U60 motherboard?
> Here, let me get
> you a photo:
>
> http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/bf/1e/df_3.JPG

2 things (flip over the motherboard :-)) and second... not
all capacitors a blue barrels.

> Alright, now let's take a look at an average Tyan dual
>socket 940
> motherboard:
>
> http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-151-120-06.JPG

Again, apples and oranges. That Tyan motherboard has far
higher speed trace than the old U60 board you put there.
That may give you a hint on why them caps are there, I
recommend a remedial review on concepts such as line
decoupling. And you are assuming that somehow SUN board =
good, and Tyan board = bad. Well if capacitors are a
metric of bad design then the latest SUN offerings must be
aweful, lets look at the insides of a T2000:

http://204.3.197.26/perspectives/wp-content/t2000_inside.jpg

Plenty of caps there, I guess the quality of sun design
must have gone through the drain. Afterall... look at all
them caps!