[rescue] limited shelf life of hard drives ?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed May 3 10:24:29 CDT 2006

On 5/3/06, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 05:10:41AM -0400, C Fernandez wrote:
> > I thought Micropolis had been a respected brand?  I know they went
> > under, although, I don't know any details on that.
>
> At one time they might have been.  Around the time they went under, I
> saw nothing but junk sold under the brand name (I'm *still* pissed about
> a 9G SCSI disk from them dying at home, and that was eight years ago..).

There was a spate of full height 5.25" disks from Micropolis (iirc,
1991's) that were pretty well all bad.  We had a standing policy to
replace everyone one during the first downtime of a server after we
discovered the problem.  Microp brought us cases of them to do this.

We never had any similar problems (e.g. only occassional failures w/in
statistical norms) with the other model full-heights...we never had
any of their non-full-heights, though.

=Nadine=