[rescue] limited shelf life of hard drives ?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 3 08:56:48 CDT 2006

Wed, 03 May 2006 @ 03:08 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:52:19PM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> > I bet if I pull my old Micropolis 600Meg 5.25" full height drives out
> > of Storage
>
> There's a reason they're called "Micrapolis"....  When I was at Texas.Net
> in '97-98, we had so many problems that we even pulled *working* drives
> out of service and replaced them with other brands.

At that time what I heard was that Micropolis was in such bad shape, they were
assembling drives in plain office buildings, just to get units shipped to
generate income.

We used to make bets on how many *days* a Micropolis drive would run in a
server before dying. At one point I can remember it rarely being more than a
month.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]