[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 2 21:53:16 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Aaron Finley wrote:

>> Wow.  Someone woke up on the wrong side of the list today.
>
> According to Andrew Beckett, who was/is senior tech at Cadence for IC
> solutions, the following is true:
>
> Operation time for Cadence IC:
>
> 2.2ghz Pentium: 10 minutes
> Sunfire V880: 29 minutes

Those are some awfully specific numbers for a very vague operation.  So,
since that's true, do you imply that -every- Cadence operation takes 10
minutes on a 2.2GHz Pentium or that only those which take 10 minutes
take 29 minutes on a V880, regardless of how they may benefit from each
system's different characteristics?  That, of course, also says nothing
about the memory load involved, storage I/O, number of iterations
performed, or any other number of variables.

According to my ACTUAL USERS, they're more productive on their Suns.

> Hmm.. now why would you tell an up and coming student to get involved
> with a platform which is dog slow for no other reason than the 'ooh
> noos PCs sucks' mentality, e.g. "teeny little CPUs" as original
> posted.

So, because a particular PC will run a particular operation in Cadence
in nearly 1/3 the time that a particular Sun will run a particular
operation in Cadence (same one?  We don't know!), the whole SPARC
platform is dog slow?  Nice.  That certainly makes performance
evaluations a lot easier.  "My G4 Mac redraws the screen faster than my
POWER4 systems!  CHRP is dog slow!"

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Humans that lose the capacity to think become
Elgin, TX          (    creatures whose existence has no value."