[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 2 19:05:54 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Aaron Finley wrote:

> This is just a backwards mentality.
>
> A $200 Dell Precision workstation off of feebay will absolutely blow
> the doors off an Ultra 60 (or 80), stomp all over it, and then eat it.

Depends.  We run both here at $ork for logic tests and circuit CAD.  For
a few classes of problems, Ultra 80s and Blade 1000s will stomp Dell
Precisions (even fairly recent ones).

More to the point, it's funny how all our Dell users are continuously
complaining about the speed of their systems (which are, in terms of CPU
clock period, the fastest here), but we have to force upgrades down the
Sun users' throats because the things just keep Doing What Needs Doing.

> There's no comparison, especially for EE work. If he's doing real
> work, he should be using a real machine. Not a very outdated and slow
> machine. Sure its good for some hobbiest things, but for a working
> professional, nah.

Oh noes!  I must inform our customers and management that we're
unprofessional hobbyists because we use UltraSPARC-II equipment!  I'll
see that all our CPUs are recalled since they weren't designed on "real
machines".

> Does he want to keep up, or does he want to be a fan boy for UNIX
> machines which are no longer relevant?

Wow.  Someone woke up on the wrong side of the list today.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Humans that lose the capacity to think become
Elgin, TX          (    creatures whose existence has no value."