[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Tue May 2 18:49:16 CDT 2006

On 5/2/06, Wesley Will <wwill at siu.edu> wrote:
> Anyway, I've got an intern here, a top-flight EE student, about to go
> on an externship to the Motorola embedded research shop.  He's looking
> to move out of the Wintel world and get some real working kit, so he
> can get some real engineering work done without all the delays that
> using Windows and Intel/AMD teeny little CPUs entails.

This is just a backwards mentality.

A $200 Dell Precision workstation off of feebay will absolutely blow
the doors off an Ultra 60 (or 80), stomp all over it, and then eat it.

There's no comparison, especially for EE work. If he's doing real
work, he should be using a real machine. Not a very outdated and slow
machine. Sure its good for some hobbiest things, but for a working
professional, nah.

Does he want to keep up, or does he want to be a fan boy for UNIX
machines which are no longer relevant?

-- Aaron Finley