[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Wesley Will wwill at siu.edu
Tue May 2 15:56:11 CDT 2006

> I'm sorry, but switching to an E450 or Ultra60 for his engineering work
> isn't going to let him do "real engineering work without all the delays"
> compared to his PC.  It's simply not going to have as much "oomph" for
> heavy math unless his PC is relatively old.

Another "Bingo!"  What he has now is an Intel Celeron at 1.2 GHz.

No, you don't have to benchmark anything, but if you add in the bonus
of using better OS software, on the processor it was developed for (if
we get him on Solaris 9 or even 10), and learning how the rest of the
world computes, I still maintain that an UltrSPARC is going to take
him further, faster than any celery chip or even amd64, and at a
much-reduced dollar cost.

--
www