[rescue] 64 bit Windows - was (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook ?

JJ Streicher-Bremer jj at ratisle.net
Mon Jul 31 12:11:01 CDT 2006

Bill, I just wanted to comment on 64 bit versions of Windows.  In my
experience (running XP X64 since it's RTM) the speed and stability of XP X64
are unmatched in the windows world.  There are driver issues (no drivers for
my HP Scanner) however I have found these to be minimal.  VMPlayer works
around those nicely.

The system I have, Athlon 3000+ 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9550, is quite quick.
Perceptibly faster than the 32 bit variety.

There is a limitation in that 16 bit applications will not run on this
platform, so if you rely on those this is not for you.  Also if the software
installs drivers, there will need to be 64bit specific drivers.  That being
said I have not found any software that won't run on the platform, and they
run much better in almost every case.

The same holds true for Vista x64.

If you can get your hands on the bits, I strongly recommend giving it a shot
(XP or Vista)
.

JJ