[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook ?users

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jul 30 13:51:21 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 02:32:55PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> So, the real answer here is "Sure, LDAP Administrator will probably run
> under WINE, but you can't run WINE usefully on a PPC Mac."

WINE is an tool that was originally designed to run Microsoft Office
under Linux. It wasn't very successful, so someone spun off a commercial
version called "Cossover Office".

A different company found that is was lacking Direct X and CD-ROM copy
protection support, so they spun off their own version and enhanced
those things.

Meanwhile the original developers of WINE continued to enhance it. In
all of those cases, it's definately not a "get everything to run"
operation, it's a "make what we want (and in some cases people will
pay for) work" operation.

For example, if LDAP Administrator uses special LDAP Windows system calls,
it is unlikely that it will run at all. If it just issues a TCP connect
and sends and receives data which happen to make an LDAP server do what
it wants, it might work.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838