[rescue] best rackmount Sun (used) for $1k

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Jul 29 21:07:17 CDT 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 18:58, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 18:35, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Assuming this has the same basic memory subsystem as the E250 and Ultra
> 2 (non-PCI version), I would have to pass.  I found those too slow for
> some of the tasks I threw at them - this is for a lower-end production
> machine, not a rescue.
>
> Come on, I am willing to spend up to 10 honeybees here ... don't give me
> this low-end stuff :-)

If you want a fast box that'll run Solaris of some flavor, the only suggestin
I've got is an Opteron box.  Opterons blow the pants off (speed-wise) any
SPARC machine.

Even the Sun F6800's we've got at work "blow chunk" as far as memory bandwidth
is concerned... speed-wise, it seems like it's got just a single PC100 memory
bus that all 192GB of its ram is on.

On the other hand, for well under $1k you could get a rack of blazingly fast
IBM boxes, which'll run AIX swimmingly (and do a decent job at Linux too).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220009243044

Someone please buy some of these from me so they don't have to go to the
scrapper :(

Pat