[rescue] best rackmount Sun (used) for $1k

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Jul 29 17:58:44 CDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 18:35, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> >What would you folks recommend, assuming I want a 4U or less Sun
> >SPARC-based machine, 2GB RAM or more, for about $1,000 ?
> >
> >What kind of systems are out there for that price ?
>
> Sun 420r eBay item 110013758764
>
> $450 Buy It Now w/4x 450 CPUs, 4 Gig RAM, 2x 18 Gig HDs and include rack rails... Of course, $90 to ship, but that's 2-3 day form CA, not Ground ;^)

Assuming this has the same basic memory subsystem as the E250 and Ultra
2 (non-PCI version), I would have to pass.  I found those too slow for
some of the tasks I threw at them - this is for a lower-end production
machine, not a rescue.

Come on, I am willing to spend up to 10 honeybees here ... don't give me
this low-end stuff :-)

--Patrick