[rescue] best rackmount Sun (used) for $1k

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Jul 29 20:57:56 CDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 21:43, Lionel Peterson wrote:

I was able to see this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUN-Sunfire-280R-Dual-900MHz-2GB-Memory-2x36GB-DVD_W0QQitemZ280010349560QQihZ018QQcategoryZ51239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

> Of course, if you are willing to entertain something over 4U, E10K machines are down in the sub-$2K range lately, and you could virtualize many other servers onto it, so you could come out ahead in the long run...

The E10K machines are troublesome, from what I hear.  They go through a
lot of parts.

> I don't think you get much faster than the E420r until you go well above $1K and get something more current...

I think a dual US-III is the slowest I would bother putting into
production, aside from 1U Netra's and V100's that are still good for
many utility tasks.

--Patrick