[rescue] best rackmount Sun (used) for $1k

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 20:43:50 CDT 2006

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2006/07/29 Sat PM 02:29:51 CDT
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] best rackmount Sun (used) for $1k

>What would you folks recommend, assuming I want a 4U or less Sun
>SPARC-based machine, 2GB RAM or more, for about $1,000 ?
>
>What kind of systems are out there for that price ?
You could probably piece together a nice E3X00/4X00 machine, but the memory is going to be slow (by current standards), and unless you are willing to go to the latest Sun Opteron-based systems, I think the E420r is abou the best you'll find.

Of course, if you are willing to entertain something over 4U, E10K machines are down in the sub-$2K range lately, and you could virtualize many other servers onto it, so you could come out ahead in the long run...

I don't think you get much faster than the E420r until you go well above $1K and get something more current...

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but it is an interesting question.

Lionel