[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook  users

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 11:50:02 CDT 2006

>From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>Date: 2006/07/29 Sat AM 10:54:05 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook  users

<snip>

>I'll cop to one (in Mutt only) that says, "This popup brought to you by
>Microsoft: Enabling 98% of the world's computer viruses since 1995."

Given their percentage of the _number_ of installations, that seems almost reasonable (I'd expect a system with about 90% market share to have about, uhm, 90% of the viruses written? ;^)

Look, I don't want to make a big deal out of this (too late?) but really, step back for a minute - what numerous people are defending, nay, encouraging is the exploitation of a platform-specific feature in the software to annoy users into changing their platform... Isn't that what many of the folks that write "viruses" claim is thier motivation? Is there really virtue in exploiting a "feature" in software to annoy folks on *this* list? Now, if it were the case that the original poster (or anyone) were claiming superiority of their email client over another, tweaking them would be fine (tit-for-tat?), but instead these little header messages are out provoking folks.

Anyway, I'm occasionally suprised at what people view as acceptable behaviour online vs. real-life. Would you make comments about peoples choice in clothes as you pass them onthe street? Probably not, but for some reason it is acceptable here?

Anyway, not my battle - just some observations.

Lionel