[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 07:45:21 CDT 2006

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2006/07/29 Sat AM 05:13:16 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

>On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 01:52:21AM -0700, Devin L. Ganger wrote:
>> However, these flags don't just show up as nice little informational
>> boxes on the message that I can look at and laugh; they also flag the
>> message for followup. Since I'm attempting to actually use some of the
>> nicer features of Outlook (including the Search Folders functionality),
>> these falsely-tagged messages are starting to become more of a nuisance.
>
>Use a crappy mail client, deal with the crap that comes with it? 8-)

<snip>

How are these messages appearing? (I have no problem with Outlook, but at home I tend to use webmail instead of a local email client)

Also, what is the nature of these messages? Are they harmless tweaks or are some of them actual insults that would never pass as acceptable in the body of the message, but are somehow OK when snuck in to the headers of an email message? And finally, I'm suprised that odd header settings would be passed on blindly by the maillist software - I'm not saying' it's bad, I've just never thought about it before. I would have thought that the forwarding software would trim the message down to it's plain-text content, slap on it's own header info, and that would be it.

In other words, you've peaked my curiosity.

Thanks,

Lionel