[rescue] Hardware failure

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 27 13:02:19 CDT 2006

Sat, 22 Jul 2006 @ 12:40 -0400, Ian Viemeister said:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Right now, unless you can show me an example otherwise, all PCs with HT
> > are currently using HT as a frontside bus, with the CPU as master, and
> > several slave hosts on it, usually northbridge and southbridge.  My own
> > motherboard also puts SATA on HT.
>
> Like these examples? (Block diagram on second page of each):
> ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s4885_100.pdf
> ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s4881_104.pdf

I know about boards like that.

I am thinking more of a multi-channel setup.

Multi-channel, by which I mean all channels can provide I/O
simultaneously to all devices, pretty much implies an interconnect
fabric of some kind.

So as I said, I'd like to see it on PCs.

The cost of Infiniband and HT switch chips is now below $10 in quantity
one, noise in the signal in large quantities.

I think it is about time.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]