[rescue] Hardware failure

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 16 07:47:34 CDT 2006

nate at portents.com wrote:
>>>Socket 754 and Socket 939 non-Opteron CPUs are almost totally gone from
>>>the retail markets (but they'll live long on eBay), and (non-server)
>>>motherboards will follow shortly.
>>
>>Kinda sucks, really.  It makes it a much bigger economic proposition to
>>upgrade.
>

> Hmm?  Performance-wise, no point in upgrading from 939/940 to AM2.  From
> 754, sure, you get dual-core support and dual channel memory controllers,
> but otherwise, no point.  If you need more performance now, go with Core 2
> on July 27, or just wait until next year (unless AMD has some major ace up
> their sleeve no one knows about).

No, that's not what I meant.  What I meant was that vorlon, for example,
is a socket 939 machine with an Athlon64 3000.  If I decide right now
that I want to upgrade to a dual-core Athlon64 4800, I can do so simply
by buying and installing the new processor.  Fifteen minutes of work,
and probably no reinstall required.  But if, six months from now, there
are no longer any Socket 939 processors available on the market, the
same upgrade becomes a matter of a new CPU, a new motherboard, new RAM,
and quite possibly an OS reinstall to get all the correct device drivers
for the new motherboard all working properly.  That's a fairly strong
discouragement to upgrading the CPU.