[rescue] scsi id arrangements on plextor ultraplex

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Jul 22 11:06:23 CDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 04:40:19PM +0200, Dimitar Vasilev wrote:
>> You will also want to make sure that the "PRTY" jumper is in place; a
>> Sun expects that.
>>
>> Lastly, you need to make sure the drive is in 512-byte block mode.  On
>> my Pioneer drive, that means having a jumper on the "BLOCK" pins.  I
>> would suspect the same is true of your Plextor, since PCs and
>> Macintoshes expect the drive to be in 2048-byte block mode..
>> --
>> Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
>> Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"
>>

> Thanks a lot!
> I'm now installing solaris express 6/06 thanks to your tips.
> The device behind the keyboard made the following mistakes
> didn't terminate PRTY - now it is.
> To boot off cdrom via full path I had to add :f at the end to make it boot.
> didn't catch that before
> Will try also with block mode on - I tried first with it, but didn't add :f
> at the end and the system grunted against me.

On a suitably new Sun system (Ultra 1 and newer?)  You no longer need to
change the BLOCK jumper, they can boot from 2048 block drives just fine.
That was mainly a limit with older Suns (4m/c/older) and other non-pc
workstation/server class stuff (like HP & VAX).

> Now it's purring like a powerful cat and it's fun to watch it via usb
> serial<->null-terminal cable combo.
> All the best and happy weekend.

Then you shouldn't need to mess with any other jumpers.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org